Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Warhammer Quest Monk Finished (Anima Tactics - Derek Shezard)

This is a present for one of my younger cousins for our Thanksgiving/School Break past time, Warhammer Quest. He's to represent a Chinese/Japanese Monk-type. I have to say I wasn't really looking forward to painting this guy as 1) it's not for my personal collection and 2) my cousin chose him out and he's cool, just not my style. A questionable 28mm size, TINY chest tattoo detail (that's not freehand), and having no weapon made him a challenge. But after finishing up with Cloud in the last post, I felt I wanted to practice more and took on this guy. I decided to be a bit ambitious and try more NMM and OSL (Object Source Lighting, as I found out quite recently...). In the end, I actually did have a fun time painting him up, and I felt it was an "inspired" paint job, as the hours just flew by and I couldn't put him down, except to wait for the inks/washes to dry. Enjoy the results- critiques and comments are always welcome!


The original artwork shows him with ashen skin, a white tattoo/mark and a funky lightning wind-ball move he's gathering in his hand. I actually wanted to go overboard and use razorwire to simulate the energy move, but with limited budget/time, I decided to try and practice OSL to simulate that power. I also wasn't impressed with the colors used for the original paint job, and asked my cousin if I could veer away from it (he actually wanted it just like the picture) with the condition that I'd try my best to improve it and make him look awesome. The go-ahead was given and these are the results.


The energy-gathering highlights. For a first time attempt, I thought it went pretty well considering I made it up as I went along. If anything, I might not have used enough highlight, but I'm pleased with the NMM and the reflection going up and down his *ahem* muscular chest... and that's enough of that. I also paid attention to detail, such as his necklace and golden armor rings- blue light on burnished gold tends to look green, so I splashed a bit on there to keep in line with the paint job. The paint was a mixture of old GW Regal Blue built up with new GW Skull White, then a switch over to old GW Lightning Blue built up w/ more GW Skull White, and finally faint Skull White for extreme highlights.


I'm not sure if I did the OSL right, but I just imagined the light coming from a ball on his hand- where would that light spread out to- the back of his hand is extremely dark blue, to simulate the shadow created on the back of his handas it lights up his palm, inner arm, and sides of his fingers. The rest of the lighting on the body was just picking out points like any sort of highlights, and find extreme points where I thought it would show up. Next time, I'm going to try it again and have softer gradations... it's a bit abrupt in transition, and can definitely be improved upon.


KAAAA-MEEEEEH-HAAAA-MEEEEH-HAAAAAAH!!! (No Dragonball Z fans out there..?)

--END SYNAPTIC TRANSMISSION--

1 comment:

  1. Hey, do you do shipping to england for these models? I would like to purchase this model if possible.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete