Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Memorial Weekend Hobby Day!!

This past Memorial Day Weekend Saturday, I was invited by my IG-commanding cousin to join him and a Space Wolves-commander (the younger brother to my grade school classmate, no less) for painting, bbq, and lots of drinking starting before 12:00 in the afternoon... I'm happy to say that most of my minis came out fine...

I knew I wouldn't be able to complete everything, so I chose an ambitious Zoanthrope and four Termagaunts. My mission- finish as much as possible, with impaired coordination and motor functions. I'm sorry to say that even now, I have not completely finished my Termagaunts (oh man, stupid new drybrush ruined the highlights... REDO!) but I did manage to finish my first-ever Zoanthrope.


Ta-dah!! Remember when these guys had the Predator-Chakram discus heads before? Much better now.



Detail of the brain-area. I started with a Dark Angel's Green, and highlighted it with a mix of DA Green and Scorpion Green, about 1:1 ratio. Then continually added Scorpion Green until it was almost pure... then added white to make it really stand out. For most of it, I used a drybrush, but in the end, it was more effective to take a Fine Detail Brush and just lightly go over certain areas curving outward to give the appareance of light and shadow. To get the wet look, I took Ork Flesh Wash (yup, you don't find this anymore, but I'm sure there's a weaker current gen wash out there...) and took to coloring the crevices. Makes it look wet and accents the highlights nicely, I think.

My next one, I want the softer, muted colors created by the GW painting staff. (see Tyranid Codex painted section- HF Behemoth "aqua-green" brain Zoan- effin' sweet)


I wasn't sure how the scheme would look on a larger creature, seeing as how I plan to have even more of them in my army- Lictors, Tyrant, Carnis, Maws/Trys, etc. But I have to say I'm quite pleased with the result here. I'm also going to use the tiny claws on this guy for future reference- that is EXACTLY what I was going for but unable to reproduce... oh, evil blending, so time-consuming.

The only disappointment was that I based him at my cousin's house, and perhaps laid on too-thick a layer of water-PVA sealer... ended up making my base a bit smooth instead of the rough look that I'm used to. Ah well... trial and error.

Note to self- purchase mixing pots to save time.


A Zoan of HF Izanagi driving my previously painted Stealers and Horms across my painting table!


Attack!! The Hive Mind wills it!!

The rest of the weekend I also ended up watching Aladdin er, Sands of Time starring Jake Gyllenhaal... effin' great! I'm inspired to make a figurine of Dastan... perhaps... I also stopped by my local GW Store and picked up a 40K Basing Kit. You'll see some of that used next post!

--END SYNAPTIC TRANSMISSION--

2 comments:

  1. I really like the color scheme you chose for your nids. Seriously sweet looking Zoans.

    ReplyDelete